Compiled by Jesse D. Palmer
Here are some corrections to the Radical Contact list published in the 2017 Slingshot Organizer, plus a few new spaces we’ve heard about recently. Radical spaces invite us to live life according to our own priorities, not the narrow boxes dangled before us by corporations and mainstream culture. We want something better than fun — we’re creating joy which is an experience we create communally and have in relation to others. Please send us your suggestions and corrections for the 2018 contact list, which we’ll be compiling in June and July. Due to computer problems, we haven’t been able to update the on-line version of the list at slignshot.tao.ca, but we hope to soon.
Counterpoint – Roswell, GA
An anarchist hackerspace for sharing knowledge and tools that hosts events and has literature. 625 Colonial Park Dr. Suite 203, Roswell, GA 30075 counterpoint.info
Bexley Natural Market – Bexley, OH
A non-profit cooperative grocery food. 508 N. Cassady Ave. Bexley, OH 43209 614-252-3951
Info-Lounge und Mediathek – Goerlitz, Germany
They in a rather small town but seem to be very active in political education, critical history. They have a library and a communal living project. HausundHof e.V., Hospitalstrasse 30, 02826 Goerlitz
Hambacher Forest Infoshop – Buir, Germany
An infoshop at the site of a five year blockade of the expansion of the largest coal mine in Western Europe that features tree sits and barricades throughout the Hambacher Forest. Broichstrasse 79, 50171 Buir, Germany hambachforest.blogsport.de
La Serafina and Aireana – Asunción – Paraguay
La Serafina is a LGBT meet-up space that caters primarily to lesbians and is open at 8:00 on Fridays as a social space. Aireana is a rights organization that provides legal support to LGBT folks in Paraguay. Being LGBT is very stigmatized in Paraguay and our contact reports that “the fact this place exists is quite radical.” Eligio Ayala 907 c/Tacuary Asunción – Paraguay Tel. 595 21 447976.
Manuke Guesthouse – Tokyo, Japan
A new radical guesthouse/cheap hostel. Fudeno bldg. 4f 3-8-12 Koenji-kita Suginamiku Tokyo 1660002 Japan, +81 (0)3 3330 5163, manuke.asia/english/home.html
Slingshot loves New Jersey!
A friend sent a list of safe spaces in New Jersey including the following:
• Cedar Ridge Cafe: a LGBTQ and vegan-friendly bakery that hosts events. 410 Ridgewood Rd, Maplewood, NJ 07040 973-327-2286.
• Gallery Aferro: An art Gallery and community space. 73 Market St., Newark, NJ 07102 973-353-9533
• Human Rights Institute: an art Gallery and research Institute at Kean University. 1000 Morris Ave, Union NJ 07083 908-737-4670.
• Java Love: a coffee Shop and acoustic space. 244 Bellevue Ave, Montclair NJ 07043 973-744-2122.
• Index Art Center: 237 Washington St., Newark, NJ 07102 862-218-0278
• Meatlocker: A multipurpose basement, 8 Park St., Montclair, NJ 07042 908-433-3380
Changes to the 2017 Slingshot Organizer
• We think the Tannex in Albuquerque still exists, but you can’t send snail mail to the address we published. Email us if you can confirm they still exist.
• Oops we published the wrong address for La Coche / Ovaria Psychos Bicycle Brigade. The correct info is: 2628 E. Cesar E Chavez, LA, CA 90033 323-285-2019
• Hallongrottan in Stockholm, Sweden is closed down permanently.
• Bokkafe Vulgo in Gothenburg. Sweden is closed down permanently.
• Bokaféen Jaap in Oslo, Norway is closed down for the time being due to fire. It is being rebuilt.
• Assata Autonomous Bookstore in Nijmegen, Netherlands no longer exists.
• Chat Noir Toulousain in Toulouse, France no longer exists.
• Kiosk Arnaud-Bernard in Toulouse, France no longer exists.