Compiled by Jesse D. Palmer
We cannot build a new world virtually, over zoom, on-line — our grassroots movement for liberation, tolerance and cooperation have to be be in-person, physical and grounded in free spaces. It is easy to feel isolated and hopeless because it seems like things keep getting worse and no one can stop it — but while each of us is small, people all over the world are organizing with those around them for something better. You can find your crew out there somewhere. It is in this spirit that Slingshot compiles the radical contact list published in each year’s organizer and on-line at slingshotcollective.org.
Here’s some new spaces as well as updates to the contact list. You’ll find other deviants at these places organizing their lives around things that matter more than computers, money and the rat race — creativity, experience, adventure, dirt and passion. If you visit a space, support them with your energy, money and life force.
The BBC – Tucson, AZ
A community center hosting autonomous projects including a radical library, prison uprising tracking project, mutual aid project, Anarchist Black Cross prison project, Jewish zine archive, collective print studio, needle exchange and community garden. “Through the guiding principles of consent, collaboration, harm reduction, and autonomy we hope to build our capacities to support individual and collective needs for health, stability, comfort, joy and knowledge.” 101 E. Ventura, Tucson, AZ 85705 bbctucson.org
Midnight Books – Los Angeles, CA
A new bookstore / community space in uptown Whittier that hosts events. “We strive to offer revolutionary literature as well as work to provide aid for those in need.” 7201 Greenleaf Avenue, Suite D, Whittier, CA, 90602 midnightbooksla.com
PO Box Collective – Chicago, IL
Creative collective and intergenerational social practice center featuring radical art making, mutual aid and events. “We embrace a horizontal organization model that centers marginalized voices, confronts systems of oppression while fostering mutual growth & healing.” 6900 N Glenwood Ave, Chicago, IL 60626 poboxcollective.us
Etc. – Greensboro, NC
Community center and art collective that hosts music and events. 1333 Grove St. Greensboro, NC 27403. etc.gso
Vortex Souvenir – Wichita, KS
An independent art gift shop with zines. Inspired by the Wichita Vortex which was a collective of radical artists, poets, writers. See also poem by Allen Ginsberg. 607 W Douglas Ave, Wichita, KS 67213 vortexsouvenir.com
Bridge Community Cafe – Ypsilanti, MI
A cafe featuring art that hosts events. They aim to be a safe space for community by breaking down borders and building bridges around the world. 217 W. Michigan Ave. Ypsilanti, MI 48197 bridgecommunity.cafe
Controversial Coffee – Seaside, OR
A cafe in a small town that is “is a safe space for all LGBTQIA+”. 111 Broadway Seaside, OR 97138 503-739-0158
Librairie du Tiers Monde – Algiers, Algeria
A bookstore with radical books and author events. “Lots of third world literature like editions of Fanon that I’ve never seen before.” 08 Place Émir Abdelkader, Alger Ctre 16000 213-021-71-57-72 m.librairie-du-tiers-monde.webnode.fr
Affinity Collective – Dowra, Ireland
An 8-acre rural anarchist social space / housing co-op with an event space, library, free store and open lab. Dowra, County Cavan, Ireland N11 ND89 affinitycollective.info
Three new spots in South Korea
• Seendosi 4F and 5F, 31, Eulji-ro 11-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul
• Cafe Yeorm 53-3 Gajaeul-ro 6-gil, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul
• Space Bisugi 137beon-gil 7 Maljil-ro Seogwipo-si, Jeju
Corrections to the 2022 Organizer
• The flyover Social Center / Carbondale, IL Tool Library got evicted.
• The Birmingham Alabama Free Store has permanently closed.
• Brewing Grounds for Change in Milwaukee, WI has closed.
• Riverwest Public House Coop in Milwaukee, WI has closed.
• We left Impetus Records at Delaware Ave. Claymont, DE 19703 off the list by mistake.
• Spartacus Books moved to a better location. They are now at 1983 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC V5N 4A8.
• We got mail returned from That Social Centre in Ireland. Not sure if it closed.
• A reader wrote in to say there is something fishy / sectarian about the people’s Forum in NYC and we shouldn’t include them in the organizer.
• Window Cafe Byeol Kkol at Seoul Innovation Park, 1F Miraechung, 684, Tongil-ro, Nokbeong-dong, Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul, South Korea still exists — it closed only briefly but reopened.
• Anarchistische Bibliothek / Archiv / Institut für Anarchismusforschung has a new location –
Sanettystraße 1/3 1080 Vienna, Austria.
• Cafe Trans in Seoul, S. Korea has closed.