Compiled by Jesse D. Palmer
Making Slingshot would be impossible without work space at the Long Haul infoshop in Berkeley, a modest radical library with a funky meeting space, overflowing boxes of zines and a lot of dirty dishes. Long Haul just turned 40 years old and it’s still going strong! (But we could use help staffing a few shifts.)
The radical spaces we create seek personal and social transformation and freedom. Each space exists on its own, but together spread over the globe, they help form a decentralized network building alternatives to the death machine based on love, cooperation and fun. Here are some new spaces and corrections to the 2020 Slingshot Organizer’s radical contact list, which aspires to collect as many liberated spaces as possible to help guide your travels and organizing. Please send any corrections or additions you know about. An updated on-line version is at Slingshot’s website.
Cat’s Claw – New Orleans, LA
An organizing space, information center and meeting place for New Orleans activists and the DIY community with books, zines and harm reduction resources. 2221 St. Claude (next to the Fair Grinds coffee shop.) firstname.lastname@example.org
Blacklidge Community Collective – Tucson, AZ
A space with a free library, zine collection, internet and public restroom that hosts punk shows, poetry readings, support groups, book clubs, coffee and tea socials, Spanish classes, game nights & presentations. They have harm reduction supplies, food, water, caffeine, first aid kits, and hygiene products. Open M-F 11-5, Sun 11-2. 3027 N. Stone Avenue Tucson, AZ 85705 520-622-8571 bcctucson.org
Anarres Infoshop & Community Space – Portland, OR
Anarchist free space that hosts events. They lost their previous space but just found this one. 6011 NE Oregon St. Ste 7 Portland, OR 97214
Lavender Library – Sacramento, CA
A research and information center for LGBTQI community that hosts events. 1414 21st st Sacramento, CA 95811 916-492-0558
Direct Action for Rights and Equality (DARE) – Providence, RI
A community organizing non-profit that hosts community events and operates campaigns. 340 Lockwood Street / Providence, RI 02907, 401-351-6960 daretowin.org
Bricolage Art Collective – Paducah, KY
An art gallery with a workshop and event space. 107 Market House Square, Paducah, KY 42001 bricolageartcollective.com
Cafe Con Libros – Brooklyn, NY
Feminist community bookstore and coffee Shop. 724 Prospect Pl, Brooklyn, NY 11216 347-460-2838
Alliance to Mobilize Our Resistance – Providence, RI
A coalition of people of color-led organizations, building a rapid resistance network against violence and hate crimes. They provide legal services to protect people from ICE and other law enforcement agencies and culturally competent psychological services. 669 Elmwood Ave. #13 / Providence, RI 02905, 401-675-1414
biblio>media:take! mobile infoshop – Vienna, Austria
They distribute zines, stickers, books, shirts etc. regarding anarcha-feminism, queer, self-empowerment, creative action forums, political and social struggles and movements, DIY/ commons, ecology/sustainability from mobile locations including augasse 2-6, 1090 Wien, infoladen.kukuma.org, bibliomediatake @riseup.net
Clandestina – Havana, Cuba
Lesbian-owned clothing store that makes clothes for all genders with an emphasis on sustainable fashion and ethical clothing production. They host parties and fashion shows. Villegas 403 (between Teniente Rey and Mural) Habana Vieja, Cuba 10100, clandestina.co
Institute of Barbarian Books – Fukushima, Japan
Alternative space with a library and print shop. 2518-3 Kamiokinohara, Kaminojiri, Nishiazu, Yama-gun, Fukushima, 969-4512 Japan tel 080-4684-0130
Cuba Libro – Havana, Cuba
A coffee shop and English language bookshop with an emphasis on being a safe space for queer folx. They host free events. Calle 24 between Calle 19 and Calle 21 in Vedado, La Habana, Cuba, cubalibrohavana.com
FERi Gallery – Budapest, Hungary
Independent feminist, antiracist and queer gallery. 1084, Budapest, Német utca 6
ISBN – Budapest, Hungary
Bookshop with underground books and journals that hosts events. 1084, Budapest, Víg utca 2
Auróra – Budapest, Hungary
Leftist community center where a bunch of NGOs are working, eg. Budapest Pride and Roma Press Center. They host screenings, workshops, exhibitions, trainings, concerts and a bar. 1084, Budapest, Auróra utca 11
Gólya – Budapest, Hungary
Leftist community house with a big concert room. 1089, Budapest, Orczy út 46-48
Corrections to the 2020 Slingshot Organizer
• The Bellingham Alternative Library has moved to 1309 Billy Frank Junior St. Bellingham, WA 98225.
• The Center for Sustainable Living in Indiana no longer has a physical address. You can send mail to POBox 1665, Bloomington, IN 47402, contact @simplycsl.org
• 1919 Hemphill in Fort Worth, TX closed.
• Resistencia Bookstore in Austin TX is now at 2000 Thrasher Ln, Austin, TX 78741.
• Inside Books Project is now at 3106 E. 14 1/2 St., Austin, Texas 78702.
• Hive Mind in Akron, OH closed. The goodbye message said the following venues are still going and although we don’t know anything about them, the names alone are fun: Oakdale House, Blank Slate Elyria, It’s a Kling Thing! House, Rubicon Cinema, The Dome in Kent, Akron Bless This Mess, Project Three Gallery, The Center, Live Music Now, East End, The Venue, The Moving Castle, Live From Emerald City, Yello House.
• Phosephene in Pt. Townsend, WA (listed in the last issue of Slingshot but not in the 2020 organizer) closed.
• We got a report that On Pop Collective in Greensboro should no longer be listed.
• Faith House in Ontario, Canada is no longer a radical space.
• The Feminist Library has moved they are now at the Sojourner Truth Community Centre, 161 Sumner Road, Peckham, London SE15 6JL.
• The Kebele project in UK (Bristol) has changed its name – to BASE – explanation at network.23.org/kebele2/ourstory/
• Pelech Infoshop in Brno, Czech Rebublic and d-zona in Prague have both closed.
• El Bar De Ciro on Jirón Quilca in Lima, Peru — where “most rockthrowing kids drink after a riot” — has closed. We will let you know when we figure out where the rockthrowing kids are drinking now.
Plus a lot more spaces in Europe…
No descriptions but these all come recommended – send us info if you visit:
• Syndikalistriskt Forum: Linnegatan 21, vån 3, 41304 Göteborg, Sweden
• Bokcafét i Jönköping: Svavelsticksgränd 7, 553 15 Jönköping, Sweden
• Bokcafé Pilgatan: Pilgatan 14, 903 31 Umeå, 090-12 18 30, Sweden pilgatan.se
• Bokcafé Projektil: S:t Persgatan 22 B, 753 29 Uppsala, Sweden bokcafeprojektil.se
• ETC bokcafé: St. Paulsgatan 14, 118 46 Stockholm, Sweden, etcbokcafestockholm
• Majkällaren: Spånehusvägen 62A, 214 39 Malmö, Sweden
• Kontrapunkt: Norra Grängesbergsgatan 28, 214 50 Malmö, Sweden, 0728 – 56 04 47, bygglove.nu/kontrapunkt
• Folkkök Umeå: Hamnmagasinet, Västra Strandgatan 4, 903 26 Umeå, Sweden, folkkok.se
• Joe Hill-gården: Nedre Bergsgatan 28, 802 51 GÄVLE, 026-65 26 41, Sweden, joehill.se
• Syndikalisterna bokhandel: LS Uppsala, Svartbäcksgatan 97, 753 35 Uppsala, Sweden, 018-69 46 89
• UFFA: Innherredsveien 69C, 7043 Trondheim, Norway
• 1000FRYD: Kattesundet 10, 9000 Aalborg, Denmark Phone +45 20 95 06 66, 1000fryd.dk
• Paramount DIY: Eriksvej 40C, 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
• BumZen: Baldersgade 20-22, 2200 Copenhagen, Denmark
• Kupoli: Mannerheimintie 5B, 7th Floor, 00100 Helsinki, Finland
• Mustan kanin kolo: Hämeentie 26, 00530 Helsinki, Finland+358 44 5779057