Compiled by Jesse D. Palmer
Here’s some radical spaces Slingshot found out about since we published the 2015 Organizer, plus some corrections to the Organizer. These spaces are the Bert to the Ernie of recent militant street action coast-to-coast. Each needs the other to build an enduring radical grassroots movement because you need to hold physical space to build the deep communities that are so crucial. Visit these spaces or find one near you with Slingshot’s on-line radical contact list: slingshot.tao.ca/contacts
La Conca / Ovarian Psychos Bicycle Brigade – Los Angeles, CA
A community center featuring fiilm screenings, self defense classes, shows, and women’s bicycle events operated by an all-women-of-color feminist bicycle collective. Their website says “we envision a world where women are change agents who create and maintain holistic health in themselves and their respective communities for present and future generations.” Hell yeah. 1214 East 1st St. Los Angeles, CA 90033 ovarianpsycos.com
Tia Chucha’s Centro Cultural & Bookstore – Sylmar, CA
Social justice bookstore with events, classes and social groups dedicated to Chicano culture and history, women’s health, empowerment and writing, and bilingual open mics. They also promote local protests, actions, and anti-capitalist gatherings. 13197 Gladstone Ave, Unit A, Sylmar, CA 91342 818-939-3433 www.tiachucha.org
Backspace – Fayetteville, AR
A DIY show, art and event space. 541 W Meadow St. Unit H, Trailside Village Fayetteville, AR 72701
Eso Won Bookstore – Los Angeles, CA
Indepenent Black-owned social justice-focused bookstore. EsoWon means “water over rocks”. 4327 Deghan Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90008 323-290-1048. Esowonbookstore .com
Change Point – Reno, NV
A harm reduction drop in center with HIV testing, safe injection supplies, condoms, hygiene items with coffee and pastries. Anyone is invited to visit. They focus on injection drug users, homeless people, sex workers, people in extreme poverty and transgender people. Operated by Northern Nevada HOPES. 445 Ralston St. Reno, NV 89503 775-997-7519 nnhopes.org
Chuco’s Justice Center – Inglewood, CA
Community center for education and organization with a focus on incarceration / police brutality and also a hub for dozens of grassroots groups. 1137 E Redondo Blvd., Inglewood, CA 90302 323-235-4243
Cocoon Room – Milwaukee, WI
A show space and art gallery. 820 E. Locust Street Milwaukee, WI 53212
Yin-Yang Fandango & The Tango Tea Room – Corpus Christi, TX
A privately owned vegan/veggie cafe that has space for art and activist materials and is a local counter-culture hangout. 505 S Water St #545 Corpus Christi, TX 78401, 361-883-9123
Heart of Art Gallery – Los Angeles, CA
A DIY gallery and venue for women, youth, trans and members of the LGBTQIA community. They also run an animal rescue project. 1907 Rodeo Rd. Los Angeles, CA 90018 heartofartgalleryla.com
Dill Pickle Food Co-Op – Chicago, IL
A cooperative grocery store selling healthy and sustainable food. 3039 W Fullerton Ave., Chicago, IL 60647, 773-252-2667 dillpickle.coop
LA Fort – Los Angeles, CA
An art co-op/community center (Do It Together space) that provides low cost artist workspace, music practice space and hosts craft nights, poetry readings, workshops and art openings. They are working through government red tape to re-open an all-ages show venue. 736 Ceres Ave Los Angeles, CA 90021. thelafort.weebly.com
Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement – Des Moines, IA
A non-profit grassroots organization focused on environmental and economic justice. 2001 Forest Ave, Des Moines, IA 50311 www.iowacci.org
Vermont Workers’ Center – Burlington, VT
A non-profit grassroots organization focused on worker and labor issues. 294 N Winooski Ave., Burlington VT 05401 802-861 4892 www.workerscenter.org
Pehrspace – Los Angeles CA
Community art space and all-ages music venue. 325 Glendale Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026 213-483-7347
Raíces Infoshop y Cocina Vegana – Tijuana, Mexico
An infoshop with a book store, bilingual zine and book library and free internet. They host ESL and Spanish classes, movies, shows and DIY workshops. They share the space with a vegan café. 8232 Santiago Argüello, Centro, Tijuana, B.C. Mexico raicestijuana.wordpress
East Village Arts Collective – London, Ontario, Canada
A show space / community art gallery that hosts workshops and events. They host Food Not Bombs and Black Flag Anarchist Free School. 757 Dundas Street, London, ON. N5W 2Z6 Canada. eastvillagearts.ca
Corrections to the 2015 Slingshot Organizer
– We published the wrong address for Resistencia Books in Austin, TX. The correct address is 4926 E. Cesar Chavez St. Unit C1, Austin, TX 78702 512-389-9881.
– The Furnace in Albany, NY no longer exists.
– Laughing Horse books in Portland, OR closed after almost 30 years in existence.
– The Burrow in Winona, MN has closed.
– The address for Ojata Records in Grand Forks, ND is wrong. The correct address is 1300 University, Grand Forks, ND 58203 701-757-4002.
– Acme Artworks in Chicago, Il is not at 2251 W. North Ave. It might be at 1741 N. Western Ave or it might not exist anymore. If you live in or visit Chicago, please let us know.
– The Real School / Dragon Valley in Houston doesn’t seem to be at 2805 Wichita anymore. Let us know if you have their new address.
– Word on the street is that Station 40 in San Francisco might close soon.
– We got mail returned from Krank it Up in Tallahassee, FL and the phone number we published for them doesn’t work, but the internet seems to indicate they exist, so please let us know what is up if you’re in Florida.
– In Slingshot #117 we printed a correction to the Organizer indicating that the LA Infoshop was a private business not an infoshop. Since then Slingshot collective member Alex has visited and he writes “I think it’s unfair to simply write it off as a private business. It’s a print shop that is privately owned, but they are in the process of starting to print their own materials as an Infoshop and I think there’s a lot of potential in that.”