The Cascadia Forest Defenders have been blockading the White Castle Timber sale via tree sits to stop the destruction of remaining old growth forests in southern Oregon. They are looking for support, and will provide what they can for people who come out such as food, training and gear. I hitch hiked to Eugene in August where I met up with some of them and learned a bit about tree climbing before we went to the sit.
According to their call to action, “The White Castle timber sale is the first of a new type of clearcut â€“ a Variable Retention Harvest. Variable Retention Harvests cut 70% of a forest leaving the remaining 30% in little scattered patches. The science, developed by Drs. Norm Johnson and Jerry Franklin, is that there is not enough young forest around for species that need more meadow-like habitat, like butterflies and moths.”
For more information please check: forestdefensenow.com or write firstname.lastname@example.org