Every year the Slingshot collective spends the month of July trying to update the radical contact list for the next year’s Organizer. We call, email and snail mail letters all over. We always seem to get a lot of responses, corrections and additions right after the organizer goes to press in August – so we have to update the Organizer in the newspaper before the Organizer is even back from the printer! This year, we sent snail mail letters to all the contacts in Europe, Latin America and Asia and we’ve been getting back a lot of great greetings and information.
Many of us had the opportunity to travel over the summer and gather new contacts as well as visit existing spaces. It is incredibly inspiring to see so many amazing radical spaces all over – many of them well organized, bright, thriving, colorful and full of creative energy. Thanks to everyone across the world who lends a hand to keep the radical community and its amazing spaces going.
Las Vegas Zine Library – Nevada
A zine library at the Beat Coffeehouse. 520 Fremont Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101. (Mail zine donations to c/o Jeff, PO Box 72071, Las Vegas, NV 89170.) lvzinelibrary.blogspot.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Burrow – Winona, MN
They have a library, social center, meeting room and kitchen. 713 Washington Street Winona, MN 55987, burrow.booking @gmail.com
Copyleft Infoshop / The Den Collective – St. Louis, MO
They have an infoshop with a zine library, urban farm and show space at a collective house. 3245 Knapp Street St., Louis, MO 63107 email@example.com
Bitch Media Community Lending Library – Portland, OR
A lending library at the Bitch magazine headquaters with 1500 books, zines and DVDs on feminism, gender and related topics. Open Tues/Thurs 5-8 and by appointment. 4930 NE 29th Avenue, Portland, OR 97211, 503-282-5699, www.bitchmedia.org/library
Hammer Time! Projects – Ft. Collins, CO
A warehouse with a music venue, meeting space, free store, tool cooperative and infoshop featuring books from the (defunct) 908 infoshop. 1000 E Laurel St. Fort Collins, CO 80524 www.hammertimeprojects.org
Experimental Station – Chicago, IL
A bunch of independent projects on one corner including Blackstone Bicycle works (bike coop), Backstory Café plus community events and projects. 6100 S. Blackstone Ave., Chicago, IL 60637 773-241-6044
Bike Sauce – Toronto, Canada
DIY bike shop that sponsors community rides and events. 717 Queen Street East, Toronto, Canada 647 724 7880, bikesauce.org
Revolver Infoshop – Prague, Czech Republic
A new infoshop – uh, does anyone read Czech? Mecislavova 8, Praha 4 – Nuscle. www.infoshop-revolver.cz/, firstname.lastname@example.org
Casa da Lagartixa Preta – Santo Andre, Brazil
A house run by Anarchist Black Cross with a community library, garden and bike shop that hosts unschooling workshops, discussions and movies. Alcides de Queirós, 161, Santo André / Casa Branca, São Paulo / Brasil, 09015-550 www.ativismoabc.org
Corrections to the 2011 Slingshot Organizer
• The Bloom Collectivein Grand Rapids, MI has a new address: c/o Steepletown Neighborhood Services, Rm. 7, 671 Davis Avenue NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.
• We got a letter returned from Pitchfork Collective in Denver, Colorado. Please let us know if they have ceased to exist or if they just moved.
• We forgot to include the Empowerment Resource Centre at 636 Queens Avenue, London ON N5W 3H1 519-435-0307. They briefly shut down while we were making the 2011 list and then re-opened with a slightly changed name and focus.
• We forgot to include the phone # and website for C.S.A. La Torre in Rome: 06822869 / www.csalatorre.net. They told us that there is a list of squats in Rome at: www.tmcrew.org/csa/csa.htm
• The FuoriControllo Infoshop in Savona, Italy is closing their space. They’ll keep doing book distro and other work, just without a space.
• The Krtkova Kolona infoshop in Prague, Czech Republic has closed.
• We tried to send mail to the Zagreb Anarchist Movement in Zagreb, Croatia but it got returned – they may have moved or dissolved. Let us know if you know.
• We tried to send mail to Cafe Victoria in Mexico City but the letter got returned. We don’t know whether they just moved or no longer exists. Let us know if you know.
• We got the phone number for Shirouto no Ran (Amateur riot) in Tokyo: 03-3330-2939, trio4.nobody.jp/keita/index_com.html (if you read Japanese).
• The folks at Bar Akane in Tokyo gave us their phone #: 03-5292-1877. They write: “Akane is 12 years old and is one of the oldest alternative spaces in Tokyo. We are here so that people can socialize, organize events, and get together so that people do not feel isolated in this competitive and money-oriented world. Each day of the week a volunteer staffs (for example I staff every Saturday) so each day of the week the atmosphere of the place is very different.”
• We didn’t list Espace autogéré, rue César-Roux 30, Lausanne, Switzerland, espaceautogere.squat.net/